Friday 08 June 2018
The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross T.D. today welcomed the publication of the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport’s Annual Report 2017.
The Minister stated ‘Annual Report 2017 is the first full year to report progress against the goals and objectives set in my Department’s Statement of Strategy 2016 to 2019. I am pleased to report good progress has been made in delivering upon the targets set in the Statement of Strategy.’
The Department’s Statement of Strategy sets out 24 objectives over the period 2016 to 2019 which support the delivery of 5 High Level Goals across the Department’s five main policy areas – Land Transport, Aviation, Maritime, Tourism and Sport. In addition the objectives also support the Department’s integration with wider Government policy and its commitment to performance.
The Minister commented ‘I’d like to thank the staff of the Department for their hard work and endeavour in 2017 and both Minister of State Brendan Griffin and I look forward to working with them as we look to build on last year’s progress in 2018.’
Note for the Editors
Annual Report 2017 is available in Irish and English on the Department’s website here.
Some of the milestones achieved in 2017 included –
- Launch of a public consultation on the new National Greenways Strategy;
- Commencement of construction on Phase 2 of the National Indoor Sports Arena;
- Opening of the new M17/M18 motorway between Gort and Tuam;
- Announcement of increased capital expenditure over 2018 to 2021 as part of Budget 2018;
- Provision of €60million in taxpayer funding to 1,807 projects under the Sports Capital Programme;
- Completion of the Luas CrossCity project.
Full details of Departmental activity in 2017 are available in the Annual Report.