The aim of Smarter Travel is to get us all to think about how and why we make travel choices for all the trips we make. It's about considering the impact our travel decisions have on others and on ourselves.
Do we need to drive to the local shop to pick up the paper or could we walk? Do we need to drive to work or could we cycle? If we have to drive the kids to school could we car share with other parents in our neighbourhood? Do we need a lift to the airport or could we get a bus?
We all know that walking and cycling are better for our health than driving and that getting public transport cuts congestion and is better for the environment.
We need to use this knowledge to inform our choices.
Between workers and students, around 400,000 people travel 4 kilometers or less to work or school or college by car every day distances that could easily be cycled or walked. If even just these people changed to walking or cycling urban traffic jams would be a thing of the past. Our economy would reap benefits from the improved efficiency in goods movements. It would mean lower overheads for everyone due to time savings. It would provide a welcome extra boost to competitiveness.
SmarterTravel is the transport policy for Ireland that sets out how the vision of a sustainable travel and transport system can be achieved.
The Smarter Travel programme doesn't just set out a vision for better travel choices but also provides funding to provide information and improve facilities for cyclists, walkers and public transport users to make it easier for us to make the right choices.
If you cannot find the information required please e-mail us at email@example.com
- Smarter Travel
- AA Fuel Price Survey
- Behavioural Change research from the UK
- Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Renewable Energy Division
- Department of Environment: Climate Change Section
- Environmental Protection Agency
- EU Commission Directorate-General for Energy and Transport
- EU Commission Directorate-General for Environment
- Green Schools Ireland
- Little Steps to Healthy Living
- National Bikeweek
- National Transport Authority
- National Transport Office Journey Planner
- One Small Step Campaign
- Smarter Travel Workplaces
- Sustainable Energy Authority Ireland
- The Effects of Smarter Choice Programmes in the Sustainable Travel Towns (Department for Transport UK)
- Transport, Environment and Health Policy Integration Resource